Monday, September 15, 2014

Understanding who I am...

Hey Family! So this has been an interesting week.  All of our investigators basically dropped us.  We thought that the P family dropped us as well, but thankfully they didn't.  Unfortunately, they are our only investigators who aren't even on date because  the father the mother, can't get work off on Sundays.  So basically all we did was contact all week.  

So let me tell you about an investigator.  Last transfer, Elder Dudley and Horner knocked on the door at her house.  She was a drug user and alcoholic.  We have been co-teaching with the sister missionaries.  When I first met her, I wasn't sure what to think. I will be honest, I was very skeptical of her.  She was scheduled to be baptized a few weeks ago, but ditched and completely ignored us for a week.  I was coming to a conclusion that my vibes were right.  So this week, Elder Dudley and I were going to visit and see what was going on.  Luckily, she was home and we had a lengthy discussion.  She had some family issues going on and was nervous for the baptism, but she said she still wanted to be baptized.  I was still skeptical because she didn't show up for church that Sunday, so how could she be baptized!?  After discussing it with the mission Pres. over the phone, the baptism can still happen, because she met all the requirements.  We were planning on visiting her every day until her baptism so that she could stay on track.  On Tuesday, we went over (me still being completely skeptic) and didn't even have a lesson, we had more of a discussion.  This discussion was so powerful and heart-felt.  She said "Elder King, I have known people 20+ years and I haven't told them the things I told you just barely.  You have this spirit with you that touches people.  Your parents must have raised you right."  At that moment, I just started to cry.  I didn't realize I was even saying anything that could effect her.  Having an investigator I barely knew tell me something like that and made me cry was INCREDIBLE!  Last Saturday she was baptized and I had the privilege of being a witness and being in the confirmation circle that Sunday.  What a humbling experience.  I learned something this week; don't judge people, you do not know their situations!  Everything she told me "put all the pieces together", I finally understood who she was, and more importantly I now understand who I am. I think of you often. Please make sure Ethan knows how proud I am of him for being worthy to receive the priesthood. It is such a huge blessing. I love you all so much!

-Elder King 

So the baptism font was gross...bugs, stains, etc...#NoBaptismsForAWhile 




No comments:

Post a Comment